According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), approximately 40,000 residential fires claim more than 350 lives annually. Electrical fires are most often attributed to problems with electric cords and plugs, lamps and light fixtures, and switches and outlets.
- Water and electricity can be shocking. Water can carry electricity, so keep electric appliances and cords away from water. Make sure your hands are dry before you touch anything electrical-even if you think it is turned off.
- Don’t overload outlets. Do not place too many plugs in an outlet. When younger children are in your home, make sure all unused outlets have safety caps. Do not put anything in electric outlets except safety caps or plugs.
- Check your cords for safety. If you find a damaged cord, replace or have it repaired. Never put extension cords under rugs and keep them away from water, heat and metal pipes. Pull on the plug, not the cord, when you disconnect.